ARCHAEOLOGICAL-RELIGIOUS MONUMENTS AND AREAS

WHITE TOWER: Undoubtedly the trademark of the city and a dominant spot in its coastal zone. Today it operates as a museum while during the period 1450-1470, where it is believed to have been constructed, it was a fortification built on the site of a former Byzantine tower.

GALLERIO'S ARCH: Known as Kamara, it is located on the upper side of Egnatia Street and is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city, but also the most famous meeting point of the inhabitants. It was built in honor of Emperor Galerius in 305 AD and is part of the Galerian complex. It is worthwhile to pay attention to the reliefs found on the pillars.

ROTONTA: It was built around 304 AD and is a vaulted rounded building similar to the Pantheon of Rome, originally intended for the temple of Zeus or Mausoleum of Galerius. During the Byzantine period it was converted into a temple of the Assombled Forces and after the liberation of the city in 1912 it was dedicated to St. George. It is a cultural heritage site of UNESCO.

GALLERIO PALACE: Located on the southwest side of Navarino Square, it was built during the Roman Tetrarchy in honor of Emperor Galerius. Together with the Octagon, the Hippodrome, the arched hall (also located at Navarino Square), the Galerius Arch and the Rotonda, they consist the Galerium Rector's Complex.

ANCIENT ROMAN MARKET: It is a copy of the center of Rome, built at the end of the 2nd and early 3rd centuries AD. During the Roman period, when it was operating normally, it included a large rectangular square, an Auditorium - Parliamentary Hall with stands and a tent, as well as a multi-storey gallery. Additionally, there was also a bath complex consisting of a circular sweat room and twenty five baths. Major findings include mosaic floors, drains, silver coins and marble sculptures.

BYZANTINE BATHS: Located at the entrance of the traditional settlement of Ano Poli ,functioned as a bath for men and women. It is the only bath of this particular period that is preserved. During the Ottoman domination, it continued to function and was named as Koule Hamam. Its operation ceased in the 1940s and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

BYZANTINE WALLS: In their present form, the fortification walls built at the end of the 4th to the mid-5th century AD extend over a four-kilometer length. Originally the length was 8 meters and the height was 10-12 meters. On their northeastern side, the walls, climb to the Acropolis within which is the Eptapyrgio. The Byzantine walls of the city are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

EPTAPYRGIO: Known as the Yedi Kule, it is located on the northeast side of the walls, including the Acropolis. It consists of the Byzantine Fortress and the newest prison buildings built in 1890.

TRIGONIO TOWER: Otherwise, the Tower of Alysis is located in the Ano Poli region. Together with the White Tower and the Vardari Tower, they were powerful forts of Turkish construction. The view that the spot offers is unique and worth visiting.

ANO POLI: The only settlement that remained sound after the great fire of 1917 and that is why it preserved its traditional elements. It is located in the north of the city and is worth visiting to explore both the traditional architecture and enjoy the amazing view it offers.

CHURCHES

Thessaloniki, as a Byzantine co-star, is full of elaborate Byzantine temples, with many of them following an original architectural rhythm, which is rarely found in other areas. Typical examples are the church of Agia Sophia, the church of Agios Gregorios Palamas, the church of Agios Panteleimonas, the temple of Prophet Elias, Panagia Acheoporimitos,  Panagia Halkeon, the church of Savior, the church of Saint Catherine, Temple of Saint David (Latomos Monastery) and others. It is worth noting that most of these temples are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

VLATADES MONASTERY : The Monastery is located in the Ano Poli region, very close to the walls of Eptapyrgion. It was probably built by Anna Palaiologina, in the middle of the 14th century. It is the only monastery of the Byzantine period that survives and works until today, while it is administratively owned by the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Notable is the view of the area.

SAINT DIMITRIOS CHURCH: The temple of the patron saint of the city is a five-aisled basilica, with special features and situated on the road of the same name. It is a particularly imposing structure with the rows of columns and the distinct aesthetic value of capitals and the mosaics being the dominant features of its interior. An important point of the church is the place where the relics of the Saint are kept, as well as the underground catacombs - the site of the martyrdom of the Saint - where today there is a museum exhibition. The temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

METROPOLIS OF THESSALONIKI: At the intersection of two of the most central streets of the city - Agia Sophia and Mitropoleos - is the Metropolitan Church of Thessaloniki, dedicated to Saint Gregory Palamas. It is one of the most beautiful temples, combining Byzantine and neoclassical influences.

SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST: At the junction of Makenzy King and Pavlos Mela streets, a few meters below the street level is located in a small oasis, the temple of St. John the Baptist. After the entrance to the temple, the feeling of transfer to another time is diffused. Below the courtyard there are underground arcades and a spring, discovered in 1892.

AGIA SOPHIA: The temple is dedicated to the Wisdom of God, as  Hagia Sophia in Constantinople does. It is located in the heart of the city and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temple is built in the architectural type of a vaulted basilica, with its body drawing off an isosceles cross. Entering the temple one can see the historicity and uniqueness of the monument, as there are similar temples, but those are located in Constantinople. Previously, the temple functioned as a Metropolis.